Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Orchids of spring

I had a great long weekend in the field - spending some time up on the mid-north coast around Smith's Lake. Lots of interesting animals and even a few plants that I had to admit were very attractive and interesting.

I saw these four species of orchid within a few hours while on a walk first skirting then within some dry sclerophyll forest. The first one to catch my eye was the Sun Orchid (Thelymitra sp.) poking up through some grass.

Next a species which always thoroughly amazes me. It's the aptly named Flying Duck Orchid (Caleana sp., possibly C. major). I've seen these guys only once before but was happy to find them again, their flower stalks sprouting out of the disused 4WD track.

In similar places to the duck orchids were a few Beard Orchids (Calochilus sp.)


Finally, somewhat inconspicuous in amongst the grass, these tiny onion orchids (Microtis sp.) were in good numbers. Each of those little blooms is tiny, less than a centimetre long!

As I have time I'll slowly put up some more photos and information of other things I saw and photographed - it was quite a rich weekend sightings-wise.

No comments: